“Heaven and earth”. Mashed potatoes and apples.
- Peel an equal amount of apples and potatoes, then large dice the potatoes and large slice the apples.
- Boil gently until both are tender in salted water.
- Drain, mash together, then add butter, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
A Swedish dish – potatoes and a cream sauce with dill. Originally found in “Swedish Touches” by David Wright and Martha Wiberg Thompson, and recipe confirmed by a website in Swedish; I adjusted the flour and butter to equal parts.
- Potatoes – new or Yukon Gold
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup cream
- Dill, fresh or dried
- Boil new potatoes or Yukon Golds cut in half, set aside
- Make a roux with equal flour and butter, 1/4 cup each.
- Cook the roux for at least 1 minute to get out flour taste. Then add the cream and cook until thickened to a gravy consistency
- Add dill and incorporate, then pour over potatoes
Gnocchi is a very simple potato pasta.
- Potatoes – 2lbs, peeled
- Flour 3/4-1 cup if baking potatoes, 1 1/2-1 3/4 if boiling potatoes
- 1 egg
Peel potatoes and slice into big chucks and boil gently until mashable, or bake on 350 until mushable.
If you have a ricer, that is great; if not, mash your potatoes as finely as possible, then add the egg and some salt
Knead until combined, but do not overmix, adding any flour as needed. As always, start with less and work your way up.
Get a salted pot of water gently boiling
Grab a small handful of dough while keeping the rest covered with a wet towel, and roll out the dough into 1″ cylinders. I use non-stick spray when rolling, but you can use flour.
Use a pastry cutter to cut them into bite-sized pieces and roll smooth; it is optional to roll with a fork to create indentions, or you can even buy a gnocchi board for about $10.
Boil for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Once they all float, I give it 20 seconds. I like mine al dente though you can cook it farther depending on preference. Scoop and drain them, and set on parchment paper.
Sautée in butter or lard and use whatever sauce you choose